Re: [igraph] plotting and layout

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] plotting and layout
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 08:57:54 +0200

On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 01:14:22AM -0400, Vincent Matossian wrote:
>      Hi all,
>
>    Gabor, I just remembered that you'd mentioned in a previous message on the
>    list that you were revamping the plotting features of igraph (I guess for
>    the R interface?) and was wondering if (1) I remembered right :) and if
>    yes, (2) if you could share what you have in mind?

Vincent, hmmm, that must have been the rewrite of the graphical parameter
handling in the R interface, which is already done, and it is much better
than before, you can assign default parameters like layouts, etc. to
graphs or to all graphs in the current session, etc. See ?igraph.plotting

Some more rewrite is needed though because plot.igraph is very premature,
eg. it plots all vertices first then all vertex labels and this is
incorrect if the vertices overlap, but has many other deficiencies as
well. But this rewrite won't change the API. Another required addition
is different vertex shapes, but of course the wishlist is endless.

>    I was also wondering if it would be useful to interface the plotting
>    features with a graph editor in Java or other (such as
>    yEd/aiSee/TouchGraph, although these are commercial) to maybe gain
>    clustering or folding capabilities in visualizing 1k+ nodes/edges graphs?

I've seen TouchGraph and it is really neat, but i don't want to do
an interface to a commercial piece of software if there are OSS
alternatives. Eg. prefuse looks quite promising, but i don't have the time
for this right now, so i'll surely implement nothing like that in the
next few months.

Another issue is an automatic interface generator which would be able
to generate igraph interface to a number of languages based on some
simple function descriptions. I would like to do this soon and maybe
it is better to do this before writing an interface to Java "by hand".

Cheers,
Gabor