Re: [igraph] Suggestion for a new community detection function

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Suggestion for a new community detection function
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 20:54:53 +0200

Dear Simon,

I'm starting implementing some analyses through community detection
algorithms. I have found interesting a new version of modularity
proposed Lancichinetti et al. (2008).
I read that paper and I'm a little bit confused - seemingly they do not suggest a new modularity measure, but a new algorithm to discover overlapping communities in complex networks using a local fitness measure of individual vertices. (So the fitness measure belongs to a given community and a single vertex in relation to that community, and vertices are added to or removed from the community iteratively based on this fitness measure). I checked the algorithm and I think it is not too difficult to implement in Python - if I have some time, I'll give it a go and see if I can come up with a simple implementation; however, this has nothing to do (IMHO) with the original modularity measure of Newman et al and it requires a completely different approach.

--
T.