Re: [igraph] display graph with known edge lengths

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] display graph with known edge lengths
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 09:56:14 +0200

Luda,

this is a non-trivial problem, since nothing ensures that a graph with given
"edge lengths" can be realized in 2D at all.

I think the "solution" is to either 1) apply a force-based layout
algorithm to your graph, such that takes into account the length (weights) of
the edges, or 2) do multi-dimensional scaling (MDS).

For 1) see this example:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2007-06/msg00023.html

For 2), if you use R, then see ?isoMDS in the MASS package.

My personal experience is that 1) creates layouts that looks better,
although i haven't checked how accurate the layouts are, i.e. whether
the distance of the vertices is really proportinal to the given edge
weights....

Best,
Gabor

ps. please consider joining the mailing list, otherwise 1) you might miss
some answers and 2) your messages will be delayed until i acknowledge them.
Thank