Re: [igraph] Running Igraph in parallel

From: Gabor Csardi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Running Igraph in parallel
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:28:53 +0200

Lorenzo,

some points. The implementations in the igraph C library are not
parallel, so for igraph it does matter whether it runs on a 4-processor
machine or on a 1-processor machine, it will run with the same speed.

What you can do, however, is to run multiple igraph instances (or
R instances if you use R) on the same machine, and can make the
analysis faster. In R see the 'snow' package on how to do this easily,
this would be the cheapest option, in terms of the amount of work
required.

Another option is to install a batch scheduler system on your
cluster, like 'Condor' 'Sun Grid Engine', 'LFS', etc. THe scheduler
can then "optimally" distribute the work among the machines.
Again, this won't make a single betweenness calculation faster,
but if you do it for 10 graphs then you can run them in parallel.

Best,
Gabor