[igraph] average path length

From: Alisa Coffin
Subject: [igraph] average path length
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:32:34 -0400

Dear igraph list,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a response to this
question that I received from a reviewer.  I reported average path
length for some graphs, which in one case was given by igraph as
43.81249.  I reported it in the manuscript as 43.81.  The reviewer
asks:

"As I understand this, the units of average path length are edges,
which are described by integers.  Is it meaningful to say that the
average of integers is a real number?"

Any thoughts or responses would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Alisa Coffin

--
Alisa Coffin, PhD. Candidate