Re: [igraph] persisting graphs

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] persisting graphs
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:24:26 +0100

Hence I was thinking by storing it as XML I
could query the graphs and select the ones I want.
You can store a GraphML representation as part of an XML document, but the problem is that when you actually try to retrieve the graph and select the ones you need using an appropriate XPath query, you will have to copy the XML representation of the graph subtree to a separate temporary file before you load it into memory, since the Python interface can only read GraphML graphs from files. I don't know if it's appropriate for you or not. Or maintain a Python shelve.Shelf object and an XML database simultaneously: you query your XML database, grab some unique IDs of the graphs you need and then quickly deserialise them from your Shelf that uses the same unique IDs as the XML database. I think that's the best solution if storage space does not matter.