[igraph] Re: igraph

From: Agustin Lobo
Subject: [igraph] Re: igraph
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 18:31:20 +0100

Thanks,

do the weights have to fulfill any particular
requirement for each method?

Agus

Gábor Csárdi wrote:
Dear Agus,

currently the following community detection algorithms are implemented
in igraph:

fastgreedy.community
walktrap.community
spinglass.community
edge.betweenness.community
leading.eigenvector.community

Please see their manual pages for references.

spinglass.community and leading.eigenvector.community returns the
communities themselves, the other three methods return dendrograms,
you need to cut these to get the actual communities. A fairly standard
way is to cut at the highest modularity value, the modularity values
are returned by the fastgreedy and the walktrap methods (if you give
the modularity=TRUE argument). For the edge betweenness based method
you have calculate them by calling 'modularity'. See the example at
http://igraph.sf.net -> Screenshots -> Creating animations.

These methods use different heuristics to maximize modularity, if you
get consistent results with the different methods that is a good sign.

Btw. these questions are more suited to the igraph-help mailing list,
see http://igraph.sf.net -> Community -> igraph-help

Best Regards,
Gabor