Re: [igraph] Finding motifs in a biochemical network

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Finding motifs in a biochemical network
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 11:17:51 +0000

Hi,

> The output is just a numerical distribution of the no. of 3/4 node
> motifs.I wish to get more specific results ,for e.g., the nodes which
> are actually taking part in motif formation (their numeric ids).
Unfortunately that's not yet possible with the current igraph R
interface, but I think it isn't too complicated to add. If you are
willing to do some programming in C, check the source code of motifs.c
in the igraph source tree; the vector called vids contains the vertex
IDs participating in the current motifs at line 200. You can add an
extra vector argument to igraph_motifs_randesu and copy the current
contents of vids to that vector in line 200.

Alternatively, you can construct a small auxiliary graph that looks like
the motif you are interested in (graph.isocreate is handy for that) and
use graph.get.subisomorphisms.vf2 to search for all subgraphs of your
graph that are isomorphic to your motif.