Re: [igraph] vertex overlap layout

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] vertex overlap layout
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:53:29 +0100

Bruno,

if you have to do this only once, then you can plot the graph
interactively, adjust the positions and use the new coordinates. E.g.:

g <- ba.game(100,1)
id <- tkplot(g, layout=layout.kamada.kawai)
## Adjust the positions here
coords <- tkplot.getcoords(id)

If you need to do this over and over again, then here is the excerpt
of some emails in the subject:

-----------
[...]
I don't know any direct way to do this, unfortunately. You
can try to run a couple of steps with a force-based layout algorithm
(a different one, if your original layout was generated such a way).
E.g.

library(igraph)

set.seed(1123)
g <- graph.tree(40)
V(g)$size <- 10
lay <- layout.norm(layout.random(g), -1,1,-1,1)
plot(g, layout=lay)

lay2 <- layout.graphopt(g, niter=10, start=lay, max.sa.movement=1/200)
lay2 <- layout.norm(lay2, -1,1, -1,1)
plot(g, layout=lay)
plot(g, layout=lay2)
[...]
Thanks for the great advice. I did a bit of experimenting to find the
best layout for me. I used a similar approach to the one you proposed: I
created an initial reingold.tilford layout, normalised it, applied a
force-based algorithm (fruchterman.reingold.grid), and normalised it
again. Layouting a graph seems quite involved, but I'm certainly happy
with the result.

Best,
Gabor