Re: [igraph] Bonpower Crashes (Sparse matrix Help)

From: Surendar Swaminathan
Subject: Re: [igraph] Bonpower Crashes (Sparse matrix Help)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:31:49 -0700

Hello Gabor,

     I did some work on the bonpow working on different graph. Please bear with me.Bonpow and the sparse matrix is working for this graph object but only if I know the exponential value.

For example. I am attaching a file along with this email.
The file 'Graph1.RData' (306 KB) is available for download a

http://dropbox.unl.edu/uploads/20090420/586866ae80b390cf/Graph1.RData
When I run bonpow(g) it throws an error

Error in solve.default(id - exponent * d, tol = tol) :
system is computationally singular: reciprocal condition number = 1.15648e-18
Then what I did is substituted the value in the option

bonpow(g,exp=1.15648e-18)

Bonpow is working and I got very convincing results. With respect to the sparse matrix.I substitute the same value for the exp in solve the sparse matrix is working fine without , but I have not validated the results yet.

Example 2.

The file 'Graph12.RData' (272 KB) is available for download at
<http://dropbox.unl.edu/uploads/20090420/b3293976d05cebb1/Graph12.RData>
 With respect to this graph when I use bonpow(g) it works fine and did not throw me an error.I think it is calculating with the exp=1 by default I validated the result and it is not convincing.Nodes at the periphery has the highest bonpow (nodes which has just one connect to the giant component).This graph worked on the sparse matrix with out any error and I have not validated the results yet.

Can you tell why it is happening only with respect to this graph. I really dont understand can I think the sparse matrix is working properly.I am guessing everything depends on the reciprocal value.Is there anyway to find the reciprocal value for each graph.

Nathan