Re: [igraph] igraph install on ubuntu failed

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] igraph install on ubuntu failed
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:10:44 +0000

Hi Gang,

> I was using Ubuntu 9.10, igraph 0.5.2. I downloaded the igraph source from
> the website and followed the instructions.
> Is there any other base libs should be installed to UBuntu before I make
> install this?
No; I just installed a clean Ubuntu 9.10 in a virtual machine, launched a
console, apt-get installed build-essential and libxml2-dev, downloaded the
igraph tarball, extracted it, did the usual ./configure && make dance and it
worked. It seems that there is a problem with your local setup; if the machine
was upgraded recently, make sure you start with a clean igraph source tree
(that was just extracted from the tarball) to make sure that no files are left
there from a previous compilation. Also, try apt-get installing build-essential
in case your machine is missing some essential development component.

By the way, why don't you try using the precompiled igraph packages for Ubuntu?
See the following URL:

http://launchpad.net/~igraph/+archive/ppa