Re: [igraph] Re: Question about community detection

From: Lin Freeman
Subject: Re: [igraph] Re: Question about community detection
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 07:50:27 -0500

Hi,

For other ways of evaluating any partitioning into communities, you might want to read:

Sailer, L. and S. Gaulin 1984 Proximity, Sociality, and Observation the Definition  of
   Social Groups. American Anthropologist 86: 91-98.

L. C. Freeman, S. C. Freeman and A. G. Michaelson  "How Humans See Social Groups: A Test of the Sailer-Gaulin Models." Journal of Quantitative Anthropology, 1, 1989, 229-238

As to whether a partition that yields a point as a community, consider a null graph containing N points and no edges.  Such a graph must display N communities.

Best,
Lin Freeman

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Gábor Csárdi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:01 AM, zhengjun chen <zhjchen.sa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I choose the community division with highest modularity value. What I find
> is that some communities just contain one node.
> So, I am wondering it is a good community division or not. So, is there any
> other way to demonstrate the community division is good or not?

I don't know of any. Theoretically it is possible to calculate the
best possible division in terms of modularity, but this is not
feasible for large graphs.

Btw. for me the other methods gave better modularity values on all the
graphs i have tried, so you might want to try them. They are also more
stable.

Gabor

believed to be clean.

--
Linton C. Freeman
Institute for Mathematical Behavioral Sciences and

Office:             (949) 824-6698
Home (CA):      (949) 494-6139
         (FL):      (941) 778-1074
Secretary:        (949) 824-3663