[igraph] GraphML in R

From: Matthew Walker
Subject: [igraph] GraphML in R
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 18:47:35 -0500

Hi,

I was trying to get GraphML support for the R interface to iGraph. I finally learnt that I must pass to configure the path I used to install libxml2. This took me a wee while to figure out so I have written up a few lines on the wiki (http://igraph.wikidot.com/installation-issues) in case anyone else has the same desire. I would love to know if this is the "correct" way to get iGraph to work with libxml2 as I was surprised that iGraph didn't just take the information offered by pkg-config.

While doing that however, I noticed that support for GMP was turned off. Out of curiosity I installed GMP but it was still "off" no matter what options I passed to ./configure. I looked at the configure.ac and it appears that the line "gmp_support=no" might be the cause. Setting "gmp_support=yes" seems to work. Is this "no" intentional? What does GMP support offer anyway?

I then uninstalled igraph from R (using remove.package()) and then followed Gabor's instructions on how create an R package [1] however, despite all this, I still do not have GraphML support in R:
> library(igraph)
> read.graph("~/Desktop/example.graphml.xml", format="graphml")
Error in read.graph.graphml(file, ...) :
At foreign-graphml.c:1033 : GraphML support is disabled, Unimplemented function call

Do you have any suggestions for what I am doing wrong? I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Matthew

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/igraph-help/2007-04/msg00025.html