Re: [igraph] errors using power.law.fit

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] errors using power.law.fit
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 11:22:40 +0100

Martin, Tamas,

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Tamas Nepusz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Martin,
>
>> Now, it is possible that some of the graphs I have would not fit a power law
>> well - is there a recommended way for checking whether it makes sense at all
>> to try fitting one?
> You can use a Kolmogorov-Smirnov test for that, as outlined here:
>
> http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.1062

While the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test is good in theory, in practice,
you'll find that no distribution is exactly a power-law (of course),
unless you have really small networks. At least this is my experience.

Btw. there is also an R package called 'degreenet' which fits various
kinds of power-law distributions to discrete data.

Best,
Gabor

[...]

--