Re: [igraph] fastgreedy.community fails on Zachary karate club data set

From: Arun
Subject: Re: [igraph] fastgreedy.community fails on Zachary karate club data set
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 23:56:01 -0600

As the error message says, the FastGreedy algorithm only works on
simple graphs (i.e. graphs with no self-loops or multi-edges).  Your
version of the Karate graph most likely has duplicate edges or
self-loops.

The Karate network available from Mark Newman's website
(http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/netdata/), has only 78 edges, I
think.  From your output, however,  your Karate network has 154 edges.
 Check your data and remove self-loops and duplicate edges.   Fast
greedy should work after that.  Also, see the igraph.Graph.simplify()
method if you want to simplify quickly and avoid editing the
underlying dataset.