[igraph] best method of preserving network interactions in a 2D map?

From: James T Metz
Subject: [igraph] best method of preserving network interactions in a 2D map?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:35:30 -0500

Igraph List,

        Suppose I have a set of interactions e.g., similarities or distances where distance = 1 - similarity
for a set of nodes.  I can read in those interactions, generate a network and output the 2D coordinates.

        Suppose I would like to preserve the input similarities (or distances) as much as possible so that
if I computed the Euclidean distances from the resulting network 2D coordinates, I would get an excellent
agreement with the original input distances (similar to multidimensional scaling).

        Is this possible using the igraph package?  If so, what functions and options should be used.

        I already know how to generate a network and output coordinates, but I am currently not obtaining
very good agreement between the input distances and the network 2D distances between nodes.  I have
tried various weight functions where weight = f(similarity), but I can not seem to get this to work very
well either.

        Am I trying to do something that is not currently possible with Igraph, or am I just ignorant of
the appropriate function and options?

        I greatly welcome comments and suggestions.

        Thank you.

        Regards,
        Jim Metz

James T. Metz, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist III Chemistry

GPRD R4DG AP52 - 01D10P
Abbott Laboratories
100 Abbott Park Road
Abbott Park, IL  60064 - 6100
U.S.A.

Office (847) 936 - 0441
FAX    (847) 938 - 2756

address@hidden

This communication may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution, use, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the sender immediately by telephone (847 - 936 - 0441) or return email and delete it from his or her computer.