Re: [igraph] python-igraph OSX Lion install errors

From: Bedartha Goswami
Subject: Re: [igraph] python-igraph OSX Lion install errors
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 13:30:34 +0100

Hi Tamas, I am using the Python distribution from python.org because earlier, while installing scipy and mat plotlib, it turned out that the Mac OS pythons are not preferable. So now I have only Python2.6 from python.org and have removed all other versions and their traces:
Last login: Fri Nov  4 11:30:12 on ttys000
Bedarthas-MacBook-Air:~ bedartha$ python
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84374, Aug 31 2010, 11:00:51)

Bedarthas-MacBook-Air:~ bedartha$ Also, I actually don't have any other compiler at all on my machine other than the llvm-gcc-4.2 and i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2. There is a "gcc" listed in /usr/bin but it is an alias to llvm-gcc. Following your suggestion I tried exporting the CC and CXX variables before I install the C library and then tried building the python extension. but nothing changed. Since I haven't changed/exported the ARHFLAGS variable to anything else in between the two steps I don't see why this is happening. I still get: lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/folders/6b/xjy71xzd1vb8wr139ryyvjy00000gn/T//ccMbChaN.out error: command 'llvm-gcc-4.2' failed with exit status 255 Find attached the text for the above mentioned few actions.
Best regards,
Bedartha Tamas Nepusz writes:
Hi,
Are you using the system Python on Mac OS X or have you installed Python
from a third-party source (such as macpython.org)? I suspect that you
installed Python from macpython.org since the setup script seems to use
gcc-4.0 by default instead of llvm-gcc-4.2.
This is not a problem per se, but you have to make sure that the C core is
compiled with the same gcc for the same architecture as the Python
interface. So, for instance, if you use gcc-4.0 for building the Python
interface, then you'll need to compile the C core with gcc-4.0 as well. If
you use "-arch ppc -arch i386" for building the Python interface in order to
obtain a PPC/i386 "fat" library, then you have to compile the C core for
PPC/i386 as well using "-arch ppc -arch i386". If you just simply download
the C core and compile it on Mac OS X Lion, it will use llvm-gcc-4.2 and
compile it for the x86_64 only, so the obtained libigraph.dylib will be
incompatible with the one that the Python interface tries to compile.
Even after the above, I get the following error: /usr/include/AvailabilityMacros.h:109:14: warning: #warning Building for Intel with Mac OS X Deployment Target < 10.4 is invalid.
You can probably get around this with export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7
The reason is that the i386 architecture was not supported before Mac OS X
10.4, and your compiler seems to want to produce code for Mac OS X 10.3.
Cheers,