Re: [igraph] arpack implementation in igraph is slow?

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] arpack implementation in igraph is slow?
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:45:06 -0500

Hi,

there are two reasons for this being slow. One is that ARPACK needs a
lot of iterations to converge, around a thousand. The other is that
your callback function itself takes a long time to compute. I measured
and more than 50% of the computation is spent in the callback.

In summary, arpack() is only efficient if you have a large enough
graph, and ARPACK only needs few iterations to converge. You can gain
something with making your callback faster, e.g. writing it in C.

Best,
Gabor