[igraph] extracting x y values from an igraph object to plot in ggplot

From: Roey Angel
Subject: [igraph] extracting x y values from an igraph object to plot in ggplot
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 16:36:51 +0200

Hi,
I'd like to extract the x y values from an igraph object in order to plot it in ggplot (which accepts only data frames). Scott Chamberlain has published an attempt to plot igraph networks in ggplot (http://schamberlain.github.com/2011/03/basic-ggplot2-network-graphs/) but he's just generating random values for the position of the vertices (through the vplace variable). This works fine for small networks but makes a clutter in large networks and, most importantly, doesn't allow drawing different layouts.

The reason I'm insisting on ggplot (apart from the fact that this is what I know best in R graphics) is because I'd like to have the vertices sized according to a vector of numeric values and their colours according to a character vector and that's done very easly in ggplot.

I'm a beginner and trying to figure out my way in the world of networks and igraph so there might be something very basic I'm missing out here.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Roey