Re: [igraph] R code for Multilevel.community detection

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] R code for Multilevel.community detection
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 18:02:19 +0200

Hi,

> So if I get it right, there is no R implementation of the
> mutlilevel.community - or, in fact, any other community detection
> algorithm; it just calls the C function.

Exactly.

> Does it mean, the R implementation of Igraph is used just as an interface?

Short answer: Yes, it does.
Long answer: At the lowest level, igraph is a graph library written mostly in C
and C++. On top of the C library, there are interfaces to higher level
languages; e.g., there is an interface of igraph for R, another for Python, and
a third one for Ruby. These interfaces make it possible to call igraph's
functions from the higher level languages, and in most cases they provide extra
functionality. Graph plotting is one such example: there is no plotting
facility in the C core of igraph, but both the R interface and the Python
interface contain routines that allow the user to plot igraph graphs, and these
are implemented in R or Python, respectively. So, the bottom line is that most
of the actual algorithms and data structures in igraph are implemented in C
(with only a few exceptions), while some convenience functionality is typically
implemented in the host language.

Best,
T.