[igraph] Large graphs with igraph

From: Bian, Jiang
Subject: [igraph] Large graphs with igraph
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 13:43:45 +0000

Dear all,

I have quite a few big networks (brain connectivity networks, if you care the
context) that I need to analysis. On average, each graph has about 50k to 60k
nodes, and about 1 billion edges (or more). So, these are not really sparse
networks.
Looks like igraph can’t really handle graphs at this scale. e.g., It took over
two days to calculate the betweenness centrality (I killed the process, it
didn’t finish) on a quad-core machine with 32G ram. I’m running the python
binding of igraph, but I doubt it would be too much faster if I change to use
the c portion of igraph directly.

I did look into other libraries especially those are built for processing large
graphs on a cluster such as graphlab, Spark’s GraphX, Giraph, etc. None of them
really has all the algorithms implemented as complete as igraph or NetworkX...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jiang

message.