Re: [igraph] Check for duplicate nodes when adding new nodes

From: Tamás Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] Check for duplicate nodes when adding new nodes
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:40:19 +0200

Hi,

igraph does not allow duplicate nodes either, the difference is that igraph
nodes are identified by a numeric ID and not by a string label ;) (Otherwise it
would be impossible to import graphs from GraphML files containing two nodes
with the same name). But anyway, g.vs.find("X") tells you whether there exists
a node with name="X" or not (if not, it throws an exception).

However, depending on what you really want to do, this might not be the best
solution at all. You mentioned that you are "building a graph". igraph's data
structures are optimized for static graphs, so add_vertex() and add_edge() is a
relatively expensive operation (since igraph rebuilds a bunch of internal
indexes after each addition). In 99% of the cases you are better off with
building an edgelist in advance and then invoking the Graph() constructor:

iterable =
some-python-iterable-that-yields-the-names-of-the-source-and-target-nodes-as-pairs
idgen = UniqueIdGenerator()
edgelist = [(idgen[source], idgen[target]) for source, target in iterable]
g = Graph(edgelist)
g.vs["name"] = idgen.values()

Alternatively, you can use the Graph.DictList() method:

g = Graph.DictList(edges=(dict(source=source, target=target) for source, target
in iterable), vertices=None)

--
T.