Re: [igraph] Estimation of the average distance

From: Vincent Labatut
Subject: Re: [igraph] Estimation of the average distance
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 17:36:43 +0300

Indeed, none of the papers I mentioned are directly concerned with the average distance, but they allow approximating individual distances, which I can then use to estimate the average distance. However, right now I needed a quick solution, so I'll check these approximate methods later.

I've implemented your method and mine, and tested them by applying them several times to a few (smaller) networks. With reasonably large samples, it is possible to get close enough (to my opinion) to the actual values, in average, in a significantly smaller amount of time than when doing exact calculations. Also, your method is much faster, even if it seems to lead to a slightly higher variance. So, problem solved, thanks.

Vincent

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Gábor Csárdi <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Vincent Labatut <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Gábor,
>
> thanks for your answer. I was actually asking if such a method was already
> implemented in igraph (because I'm lazy and didn't want to use a different
> tool if it was the case). I was considering sampling a limited number of
> pairs of nodes, using shortest.paths() to process the distance between them,
> and averaging them, as an estimation. What do you thing of this approach?

That's what I suggested. With the difference that it is most probably
not worth calculating the distances _between_ the selected nodes, as
opposed to calculating the distances _from_ the selected nodes to all
other nodes.

> The link you propose is interesting, but not all my networks are clearly
> scale-free. I had found other related works, too. I haven't checked the
> associated tools yet, but I list them here anyway, since they might interest
> other igraph users:
> - "Fast Shortest Path Distance Estimation in Large Networks", Potamias et
> al. 2009.
>    article: http://chato.cl/papers/potamias_2009_fast_shortest_path.pdf
>    source code: http://sourceforge.net/projects/landmarksel/
> - "Orion: Shortest Path Estimation for Large Social Graphs", Zhao et al.
> 2010.
>    article:
> http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~ravenben/publications/pdf/orion-wosn10.pdf
>    source code : http://current.cs.ucsb.edu/rigel/
> - "Fast Fully Dynamic Landmark-based Estimation of Shortest Path Distances
> in Very Large Graphs", Tretyakov et al. 2011.
>    article: http://vvv.cs.ut.ee/~dumas/pubs/cikm2011.pdf
>    source code: couldn't find any

None of these papers are about the _average_ distance imho. They are
about estimating distances of _individual_ node pairs.

Gabor