[igraph] leading.eigenvector.community function

From: Edmund Hunt
Subject: [igraph] leading.eigenvector.community function
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 10:11:35 -0700

Hello,

I have a question/comment about the leading.eigenvector.community function in igraph

It has an argument for weights, but this seems to make no difference to the calculated clusters/resulting modularity

Indeed I don’t think Newman’s algorithm takes edge weights into account?

Is it the case that the weights are only used after the community detection has taken place, to calculate a modularity value? Is it appropriate to use the weights to calculate modularity, can anyone advise me what is the ‘right’ thing to do with a weighted, undirected network - is it definitely to use the weights in the modularity calculation, or is there a free choice

Perhaps these issues could be made clearer in the function help

Thanks