Re: [igraph] graphs with varying centralization

From: Szabolcs Horvát
Subject: Re: [igraph] graphs with varying centralization
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2018 10:35:10 +0200

It is usually easy enough to create one or a few instances of a graph with a certain property. E.g., you can make an educated guess about which model already in igraph will produce a certain property, then vary its parameters.  Or smoothly interpolate between the adjacency matrices of two graphs having different values of a property.  E.g. a star graph will have betweenness centralization of nearly 1, a cycle graph nearly 0.

Will the graphs you obtain this way be representative of most graphs with the same 'centralization' (or other property) value?  Probably not.  That will also be the case if you choose more "random looking" graphs as starting points, such as one from a preferential attachment model and a random regular graph.  Therein lies the problem with using any arbitrary graph with a property instead of sampling them uniformly.