iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] Midi router on CVS (and some advertisement)

From: Markus Nentwig
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Midi router on CVS (and some advertisement)
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 16:56:32 +0200

Moi,

Now the midi router is integrated into the MIDI chain via callback
functions, as discussed. I just committed the changes to CVS.

The purpose of the router is to process an incoming MIDI event and
create an arbitrary number of synth events from it.
It can be used to
- build a sort of 'omni mode' (all input channels are treated the same)
- split the keyboard
- layer sounds
- for velocity switching
- to filter controllers (get rid of pitch bend where it's not useful)
- remap controllers (mod-wheel to sustain pedal).
- Construct piecewise linear controller responses

The router keeps book on pressed keys and the sustain pedal. It is
possible to switch between sounds (and Fx routings) while the synth is
playing, without any audible artifacts. This is one concept that my UI
project has been built around, to be able to switch (some) sounds
instantaneously without noises.

The bad news is that the midishare driver is now broken, same with
winmidi. But fixing it shouldn't be difficult; parts of it are already
converted.

The iiwusynth executable has now a proper 'dump' mode (--dump switch),
that dumps midi messages to stdout. Its main purpose is the perl UI I'm
writing, but I hope that it also serves as example code for notifying
Swami about MIDI events.

There is a midi router example in the man page, if somebody is
interested. The --dump switch might be useful for experiments with the
router.

Also, the bank-select-bug should be fixed.

Cheers and a happy new year

Markus