iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] RE: Not so quiet list anymore [was RE: Hi - Very

From: Chris Cannam
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] RE: Not so quiet list anymore [was RE: Hi - Very quiet list - my first post]
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:34:44 +0000

Mark Knecht wrote:
> I would think that the ability to take a specific soundfont and then
> assign it to a specific MIDI channel would be a great feature for
> fluid-synth.

Yes, looks like there are two suggestions here that are somewhat
independent of one another:

 1. Allow the user to load multiple soundfonts that then map
    exclusively (as Mark says above) to particular MIDI channels.
    So a program/bank change on channel 0 would switch that
    channel to the given program/bank on soundfont 0, and a
    change on channel 1 would switch it to the given program/
    bank on soundfont 1, etc.

 2. Allow the user to remap banks (or do so automagically) when
    ones.

Option 1 sounds neat and intuitive for most simple cases but I can
believe it might be a mess to implement.  Option 2 would take a bit
more care from the user but I'm imagining would be much simpler to
implement and might impose fewer limitations on usage.  Either one
would probably solve most of the problems that Mark and I are
describing or anticipating, and would be highly natty besides.

(Funny, I only just subscribed to this list and to my surprise I
come in right in the middle of a thread started by one of the
other rosegarden-devel regulars.  It's a small world.)

Chris