iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth on OSS

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth on OSS
Date: 24 Jan 2003 12:03:02 -0800

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 00:42, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on CVs checkout from January 11:
>
> address@hidden avp]$ iiwusynth -m oss -r 44100 -R off -C off
> cvs/iiwusynth/sf2/VintageDreamsWaves-v2.sf2 iiwusynth: warning:
> Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
> iiwusynth: warning: Ignoring sample SineWave: can't use ROM samples
> iiwusynth: warning: Ignoring sample SINEHI: too few sample data
> points period size: 64
> iiwusynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the
> audio output/dev/midi: No such file or directory
> Failed to create the MIDI thread; no MIDI input
> will be available. You can access the synthesizer
> through the console.
> iiwusynth version 0.2.4
> Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
> IIWU Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
> SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.
>
> Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.
>
> At the moment I'm using an ugly iRu notebook with some integrated
> SiS sound card (on a Trident chip). To be sure:
>
> address@hidden avp]$ cat /etc/modules.conf
> above snd-trident snd-pcm-oss
> pre-install pcmcia_core CARDMGR_OPTS=-f /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia
> start alias usb-interface usb-ohci
> above snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-trident
> alias eth0 sis900
>
> address@hidden avp]$ ls /dev/mi*
> /dev/midi0  /dev/midi00  /dev/midi01  /dev/midi02  /dev/midi03
> /dev/midi1  /dev/midi2  /dev/midi3  /dev/mixer  /dev/mixer1
>
> I'm absolutely sure that I'm doing smth wrong, so tell me please how
> to fix my /dev/brains
>
> Alexandre

It looks like the audio thread is running so it should be able to make a
sound if you tell it to :) The lack of MIDI control means that an
external MIDI device wont work. How are you planning on sequencing
FluidSynth (iiwusynth)?
You can test the audio output with the following commands ('>' is the
FluidSynth prompt):

> noteon 0 60 127
> noteoff 0 60

That will turn on and then off note 60, since you supplied a SoundFont
when you started it should play the first preset in there.

If you wan't a virtual keyboard as well as a SoundFont editor, you could
give Swami a try (you'll need to use Swami CVS with FluidSynth CVS).
Also, if you want to sequence FluidSynth via another program, you
probably wan't to look into installing ALSA which has a very nice
sequencing system. Cheers.
        Josh Green