Re: [Info-gnupedia]IS THE GNUPEDIA PROJECT ABLE TO LIVE IN THE FUTURE ?

From: Stephen A . Fuqua
Subject: Re: [Info-gnupedia]IS THE GNUPEDIA PROJECT ABLE TO LIVE IN THE FUTURE ? (ENGLISH)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:29:46 -0500

> It all seems perfectly simple to me: Nupedia and GNUPedia are both viable
> projects, and sufficiently different to remain distinct indefinitely.

I've heard some interesting points in the last few days, and am
appreciative that everyone (thus far) took my comments as they were
intended--not as flamebait. As long as the two projects do not become
divisive, which appears thus far to be the case, I think you are right, and
they will in fact be quite complimentary. Its just too bad that their names
are phonetically the same, though called the GNUPedia by "GNE" will clear
things up for people not familiar with the project. I must admit that I've
only become interested in this in recent days, so I've likely already
missed a good deal of discussion and debate on these things. Thank you
again for your patience with me =).

Personally, I've been wanting to do something like this for years, so its
quite exciting to see it happening. By way of introduction, I'm a graduate
student at The University of Texas at Austin, studying physics
(specifically high energy) and writing a good deal of database
interfacing-code for our experiments.

Now, I understand that the complex filtering and editing of Nupedia will
not be present with GNE. However, as a user I would find it incredibly
valuable to have a moderation/ratings system, or to allow people to add
short comments about the article. In this way I could more easily determine
which article(s) is actually worth my time, and which one is riddled with
errors. Perhaps this has already been discussed and hashed out. If so,
well, ignore me then. If not, any comments?

Sincerely,
Stephen Fuqua
address@hidden
http://www.safnet.com