info-gnu-chess

Question.

From: Sternbach, William [IT]
Subject: Question.
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:43:50 -0400

Hello,

I was wondering if the excellent algorithm that gnuchess uses can be improved.
It is a worthy opponent, but it does lose occasionally.

Is there any possible improvements to the alpha-beta pruning algorithms
which might increase its ability to look ahead further and do more
while using the same amount of CPU-time.  I have read some books on
alpha-beta pruning algorithms (a long time ago when I was at Syracuse
University).

I am a big fan of Deep-blue, and as PC's are getting faster and faster
(Passing the 3GHZ mark), is there any plans to improve the gnuchess algorithms
to potentially bring it to a "master" level?

- Bill