info-gnu

GNU.FREE 1.5 has been released!

From: Jason Kitcat
Subject: GNU.FREE 1.5 has been released!
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:32:13 +0000

Hi everyone,

+ GNU.FREE: Heavy-Duty Internet Voting
A Java voting system that provides scalable, reliable, secure and private ballots over TCP/IP networks. - GNU.FREE is an official package of the GNU project and is supported by FreeDevelopers.net

+ Latest news
After nearly four months of hard work we're proud to release the latest version of GNU.FREE:

Version 1.5

A whole range of new features and improvements make it a landmark release for the FREE e-democracy project. The major changes:

*       The name change to GNU.FREE as we become an official GNU package.
* Database cacheing has been implemented with a connection pooling system.
*       A wide range of performance tweaks have been done on the code base.
*       The JFC Swing interface has been converted to AWT 1.1 (much faster).
*       Upgraded to v1.0.4 of log4j and more logging detail.
*       The voter authorisation process has been made more secure.
*       All database information is encrypted for added privacy.
*       All the documentation has been updated.
* We have ascertained that DNS names are not needed and GNU.FREE servers can be referenced by their IP addresses, protecting us from DNS spoofing attacks. The Installer now recognises this.

Due to our adoption as a GNU package other changes are going on:

*       We're working on writing a full TexInfo manual.
*       Migration from Sourceforge to Savannah has begun.
*       Our web strategy is somewhat in limbo with several sites:
        http://www.thecouch.org/free/
        http://www.gnu.org/software/free/
Furthermore we have www.free-project.org registered. More on that soon, I hope.

So it's very busy at the moment. Thanks for everyone's contributions and time in helping me to get this version out. It's available to download from http://www.thecouch.org/free/download.html and soon should be on ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/free/

We've already got a TODO for the next version so back to work! Of course all help graciously and cordially received.

All the best,
Jason

--
       the FREE e-democracy project