[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Automake 1.6 Release
Automake 1.6 Release
06 Mar 2002 00:10:38 -0700
[ note to info-gnu: I sent a note to ftp-upload; I guess you should
delay this note until the files are actually uploaded. Thanks ]
We're pleased to announce the release of Automake 1.6. This release
contains many bug fixes and improvements. The NEWS entry is appended.
Automake is a program for generating `Makefile.in' files from simpler
input files called `Makefile.am'. The resulting `Makefile.in's
conform to the GNU Coding Standards, and must be used in conjunction
You can find the new release here:
- Akim, Alexandre, and Tom
New in 1.6:
* Autoconf 2.52 is required.
* `dist' generates all the archive flavors, as did `dist-all'.
* `dist-gzip' generates the Gzip tar file only.
* Combining Automake Makefile conditionals no longer lead to a combinatorial
explosion. Makefile.in's keep a reasonable size.
* AM_FUNC_ERROR_AT_LINE, AM_FUNC_STRTOD, AM_FUNC_OBSTACK, AM_PTRDIFF_T
are no longer shipped, since Autoconf 2.52 provides them (both as AM_
* `#line' of Lex and Yacc files are properly set.
* EXTRA_DIST can contain generated directories.
* Support for dot-less extensions in suffix rules.
* The part of the distcheck target that checks whether distclean actually
cleans all built files has been moved in a separate target, distcleancheck,
so it can be overridden easily.
* `make distcheck' will pass additional options defined in
$(DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS) to configure.
* Fixed CDPATH portability problems, in particular for MacOS X.
* Fixed handling of nobase_ targets.
* Fixed support of implicit rules leading to .lo objects.
* Fixed late inclusion of --add-missing files (e.g. depcomp) in DIST_COMMON
* Added uninstall-hook target
* `AC_INIT AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(tarname,version)' is an obsolete construct.
You can now use `AC_INIT(pkgname,version) AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' instead.
(Note that "pkgname" is not "tarname", see the manual for details.)
It is also possible to pass a list of global Automake options as
first argument to this new form of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.
* Compiler-based assembler is now called `CCAS'; people expected `AS'
to be a real assembler.
* AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE will set STRIP itself when it needs it. Adding
AC_CHECK_TOOL([STRIP], [strip]) manually is no longer required.
* aclocal and automake are also installed with the version number
appended, and some of the install directory names have changed.
This lets you have multiple versions installed simultaneously.
* Support for parsers and lexers in subdirectories.
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- Automake 1.6 Release,
Tom Tromey <=