info-gnu

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.0 pre1

From: David Neary
Subject: ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.0 pre1
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:53:11 +0100

Hi all,

The first pre-release for the upcoming 2.0 version of the GIMP
is now available for download from

  ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.0/testing/

or from one of the mirrors listed at http://gimp.org/download.html

Not everything is in its final state, but we think this is close
to a final 2.0 release. Your feedback will help make the 2.0
release even better, and we particularly appreciate testing
efforts. New bugs can be reported to us at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/

Please note that the GIMP 2.0 installs side-by-side with the
GIMP 1.2, so there is no need to uninstall your older GIMP.

Happy GIMPing,
Dave.

Overview of Changes in GIMP 2.0 pre1
==================================
- Replaced old "About" dialog [Simon]
- Allow removal of text attributes from text layer [Sven]
- Add optimisation option to png (clear transparent pixels) [Joao]
- Add POSIX shared memory implementation, and use it on MacOS X [Yosh]
- Dashed selection and path stroking [Simon]
- Grey picker in Levels dialog conserves lightness [Bolsh]
- Created a library for handling thumbnails [Sven]
- Support for multipage TIFFs [Andrey Kiselev]
- Added a channel mixer plug-in [Martin Guldahl, Yosh]
- PDB cleanup and compatibility mode [Mitch]
- Cleaned up libgimp API [David Odin]
- Lots of bug fixes

Other contributors:
  Adam Moss, Jakub Steiner, Helvetix Victorinox, Pedro Gimeno, Adrian
  Bunk, Abel Cheung, Maurits Rijk, Ville Pätsi, Marco Munari, Shlomi
  Fish, Jakub Steiner, Raphaël Quinet, David Gowers, Michael Schumacher