GNU Typist 2.9 released

From: Tim Marston
Subject: GNU Typist 2.9 released
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:07:24 +0000

We're pleased to announce GNU Typist 2.9.

This release contains several new features, the most important of which
is surely full UTF-8 support. Most GNU/Linux distributions now come with
terminals set to use UTF-8. This should fix the configuration problems
that non-US-ASCII users have been having.

This release also includes new lessons for the Colemak keyboard layout
(more info about Colemak available at, the facility
to track your personal best typing scores and several new translations.

Changes in 2.9:
    - Full UTF-8 support, by Felix Natter <address@hidden>
    - New Colemak typing lessons, by Tim Marston <address@hidden>
    - Many new international lessons imported from KTouch 1.6 and
      update of the German tipptrainer 0.6.0 lesson
    - New Spanish manual from smc <address@hidden>
    - Tracking of personal best scores, by Tim Marston
    - New Polish translation, by Jakub Bogusz <address@hidden>
    - New Turkish translation, by Gökçen Eraslan <address@hidden>
    - We are dropping support for the DJGPP compiler (DOS), although the
      MinGW GCC compiler is still supported.

Sources for this release can be downloaded here:

All stable releases can be found at
Alternatively, will automatically
redirect you to a nearby mirror.

Windows builds are available in the w32_binaries subdirectory.

About GNU Typist

GNU Typist is a universal typing tutor for which tutorials can easily
be written.

You can find more about GNU Typist at the project's webpage:

Project News

We will be starting work towards gtypist 2.10.