I am glad to announce the release of version 6.1.0 of GNU Chess.
GNU Chess is a chess-playing program. It can be use to play chess against
the computer on a terminal or, more commonly, as a chess engine for graphical
This release includes the following features and bug fixes with respect to previous
- Add support for package internationalization based on GNU gettext.
- Include first translations provided by the Translation Team.
- Graphic mode, a new board shape based on the unicode characters
- pgnreplay command, similar to pgnload, with the capability of
manually showing a saved game step by step and moving backwards.
- Fix bug in setboard.
- Avoid using 100% CPU in UCI mode.
- Rename the small book.bin as smallbook.bin.
I feel very thankful to all contributors for reporting bugs and providing patches.
For the internationalization support based on GNU gettext, I have received
very helpful advice from the coordinators of the Translation Project as well as
a few translations from the Translation Teams.
The home page can be found at the usual location:
You can get the compressed sources from a nearby mirror:
If automatic redirection fails, the list of mirrors is at:
Or if need be you can use the main GNU ftp server:
The development source can be downloaded from the Subversion
repository at Savannah:
Bug reports, your kind contributions and any feedback are welcome.
GNU Chess team