[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
New FreeDink game engine release
New FreeDink game engine release
Sun, 17 Feb 2019 01:46:29 +0100
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.5.0
Here's a new release of GNU FreeDink :)
This is the first official announcement for the new 109.x line with
updated technologies (SDL2, OpenGL), WebAssembly support and many fixes
See below for details.
About GNU FreeDink:
Dink Smallwood is an adventure/role-playing game, similar to classic
Zelda, made by RTsoft. Besides twisted humor, it includes the actual
game editor, allowing players to create hundreds of new adventures
called Dink Modules or D-Mods for short.
GNU FreeDink is a new and portable version of the game engine, which
runs the original game as well as its D-Mods, with close compatibility,
under multiple platforms.
* User-visible changes:
- Rewrite graphics/sounds/inputs against SDL2
- Enforce full-screen aspect ratio (no more 4:3 stretched to 16:9).
- Runs in current resolution so leave the screen clean if something
goes wrong (no more stuck in 640x480).
Also smoother full-screen / windowed toggle.
- FreeDink respect local keyboard layout for keys (ALT+... shortcuts
and custom D-Mod keys) on Windows.
- FreeDinkedit now uses layout-independent scancodes - no longer
searching where '[' or '`' was relocated.
- CD-ROM support dropped.
- Default harware-accelerated (OpenGL) rendering
- Web browser support (Emscripten)
- Debug mode is toggled once when Alt+D is pressed (no more fighting
with continous toggling).
- DinkC console is toggled when Alt-C is pressed (no more creating a
key-xx.c with just "show_console()" inside).
- Game engine translations are loaded under Windows.
- Fix game freeze in The Scourger (in DinkC: cancel concurrent
fade_up() and fade_down())
- Never recreate an empty dink.dat in the game, even if there's a
problem opening it (avoids potential corruption when running both
the game and an editor at the same time).
- Fix portability when saving a FreeDinkedit screen for the first time
- Fix 'make_global_function' and 'load_map' DinkC functions
- sp_custom returns 0 rather than -1 if the lookup key doesn't exist
(compatibility with 1.08)
- sp_custom now works for sprite 1 instead of crashing the game
(unlike 1.08, that's an improvement :))
- Can skip Mom's first dialog line when quickly starting a new game
- Fix historical segfault in DinkC busy() (off-by-one array out of
bounds). Somehow the segfault wasn't triggered in the past.
- Sprites colors are more stable after a palette change and a savegame
load to a different palette (compatibility with 1.08)
- New translation for the engine strings in Friulian (thanks Fabio
Tomat); updated Spanish translation (thanks Francisco Javier
* Developer notes:
- Move from C to C++
- Move from 'check' to 'cxxtest'
- Start a comprehensive test suite
* Fix missing strings in the translation template
* Improve AppStream metadata for GNU/Linux software centers: mark as
localized, install proper meta-package, update screenshots
declaration, new SVG icon
* Web version: support Emscripten 1.38.25
* Windows version: update reproducible recipe
* Improve distro integration some more (Desktop and AppStream files)
* Updated translations: Danish, German, Esperanto, French, Brazilian
Portuguese, Russian, Swedish
* Web version: upgrade to Emscripten 1.38.27
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- New FreeDink game engine release,
Sylvain Beucler <=