info-gnuprologjava

[Info-gnuprologjava] Why dereference()

From: Jatin Puri
Subject: [Info-gnuprologjava] Why dereference()
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 19:13:58 +0530

Hello,

I have a small query related to VariableTerm. I am unable to understand the functionality behind dereference(). I mean what is the essence behind linking Variable#value to some other VariableTerm and continuing the process.
The manual just says
"During exectuion a VariableTerm may become unified with some other Term"
On searching, I just couldn't understand the intention behind it. Can you please please explain under what circumstances does it happen and why?

Best Regards,
Jatin Puri