Re: nnimap hangs up Gnus

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: nnimap hangs up Gnus
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 19:06:59 +0200

Mike Irwin <mdi@pobox.com> writes:

> I'm seeing an issue with my IMAP server and Gnus where if I wait for longer
> than a couple of minutes between checks, Gnus hangs up while checking my mail.
> I can C-g to stop the hang, but I have to restart Gnus in order to check my
> mail again.  Also, when quitting, I have to C-g after typing q to get Gnus to
> stop hanging and finally quit.
>
> Emacs 21.3.50.2
> Gnus 5.10.6
>
> Attached is a log of some information:

(I hope that wasn't your real password.)

> 7 STATUS "INBOX" (uidvalidity uidnext unseen)
> * STATUS INBOX (UNSEEN 0 UIDNEXT 13 UIDVALIDITY 1082310119)
> 7 OK STATUS completed
> 8 STATUS "INBOX" (uidvalidity uidnext unseen)
> * STATUS INBOX (UNSEEN 0 UIDNEXT 13 UIDVALIDITY 1082310119)
> 8 OK STATUS completed
> 9 STATUS "INBOX" (uidvalidity uidnext unseen)
> 10 LOGOUT

Weird, the server is simply not responding to the command with tag 9.
Does it help to wait longer?  You could consider unsubscribing from
the INBOX mailbox as well, in Gnus, and use splitting to move
everything into other mailboxes, if the problem only happens for INBOX
(which is a special mailbox in some regards).  Instead of re-starting
Gnus, you could close/open the nnimap server in the Server Buffer.