Re: stored mail differs from the sent

From: Thomas Persson
Subject: Re: stored mail differs from the sent
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:59:53 +0200

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Thomas Persson <thomas@spacecentre.se> writes:
>
>> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>>
>>> The archived message is not corrupt.  It verifies correctly for me in
>>> Gnus 5.10.

I installed Gnus v5.10.6 but my old archived messages still don't
verify correctly. Not with mailcrypt and not with
pgg-verify-region. In fact none of my old messages, not even the
really old ones I wrote in pine works anymore after the upgrade. They
(the old pine messages with 8bit encoding) if I export them to a file
and verify them with gpg -d.

>> I tried the same procedure of signing and sending a mail to myself but
>> this time with an email account where the MTA didn't convert the
>> content-transfer-encoding from quoted-printable to 8bit and this time
>> neither the archived nor the received mail verified correctly.
>
> This is probably a bug in Mailcrypt as your previous QP example
> verified for me.

Yes it does seem to be a bug in mailcrypt. Mailcrypt probably creates
the signature assuming that the non ASCII characters will be sent as
8bit. I see now that the fact that the messages I sent verified
correctly was just a fluke. The MTA translated them into 8bit.

>> I have done some research and my working theory is that digitally
>> signed messages cannot be quoted-printable. Is this correct?
>
> Yes and no.  If your message includes 8bit characters you shouldn't
> really be using old-style inline PGP in the first place.  However, if
> you do, the message should be QP encoded.
>
> The right thing for messages with non-ASCII characters is to use
> PGP/MIME which works reliably in this case.
>
>> What I have to do then is to make sure that emacs sets the
>> content-transfer-encoding to 8bit whenever I send a digitally signed
>> message. There is a variable called
>> `mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults' but I feel that I do not
>> enough about this yet.
>
> That is the wrong approach.  As I suggested previously you should
> rather upgrade to Gnus 5.10 (and use PGP/MIME).  If you really *must*
> use inline PGP in combination with 8bit, then this works in 5.10 as
> well.

I'm convinced. I'll start using PGP/MIME instead. I was just annoyed
that using inline PGP with non ASCII characters shouldn't work with
Gnus when I did it with pine for over a year.