Re: highlighting on summary buffer.. subjects?

From: Cristian Gutierrez
Subject: Re: highlighting on summary buffer.. subjects?
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:18:38 -0400

Steinar Børmer wrote:
> Cristian Gutierrez <crgutier@dcc.uchile.cl> writes:
>
> | Currently, ticked, dormant, high (and low) scored and other
> | `special' articles are highlighted only at the author's
> | name. Subjects are displayed with the `regular' face.
>
> Not for me.  I haven't looked through your gnus-summary-line-format
> settings (they look pretty heavy to me :), but I suspect you've done
> something that alters this.  You should start by simplifying it until
> you find the source of the problem.

Having ripped every elisp snippet I found interesting, I think you're
right :) I'll do that.

> I've got a much simpler setup than you, the only thing that's
> non-standard about mine is that it allows names longer than 23
> characters in the *Summary* buffer.
>

> (setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z%I%(%[%4L: %-23n%]%) %s\n")

Well, yes, yours does highlight the complete line. I just happen not to
like the arrangment, but the colors look right!

> Your gnus-summary-line-format settings gives me the following error:
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-face-5
>
> I haven't tried debugging this, just FYI.

Shame on me. This setup came with some fonts definitions I didn't
mention:

,----
| (setq gnus-summary-same-subject "")
|
| (copy-face 'default 'mysubject)
| (setq gnus-face-1 'mysubject)
|
| (copy-face 'default 'mytime)
| (set-face-foreground 'mytime "lavender")
| (setq gnus-face-2 'mytime)
|
| (copy-face 'default 'mythreads)
| (set-face-foreground 'mythreads "dark sea green")
| (setq gnus-face-3 'mythreads)
|
| (copy-face 'default 'mygrey)
| (set-face-foreground 'mygrey "grey")
| (setq gnus-face-4 'mygrey)
|
| (copy-face 'default 'myblack)
| (set-face-foreground 'myblack "grey60")
| (setq gnus-face-5 'myblack)
|
| (copy-face 'default 'mybiggernumbers)
| (set-face-foreground 'mybiggernumbers "olive drab")
| (setq gnus-face-6 'mybiggernumbers)
`----

I think this is where the problem is, because I just had another
revelation. I tried to select a smaller font when taking the screenshot,
and the subjects didn't care to use the new font; they stood with the
default one. But then, looking at the settings above, I don't understand
why subjects are so `rebel' and other fields not...

> Normally, I could have attributed this to using No Gnus, but we're
> using the same version, so I don't see why it should matter.
>
> Do you have a screenshot of how this looks for you, since I'm unable
> to use this setting?

Sure I do (now). Please check:

  http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier/pantallazos/gnus-summary.png

I appreciate your comments.

--
Cristian Gutierrez                      http://www.dcc.uchile.cl/~crgutier
crgutier[@]dcc.uchile.cl                        Jabber:crgutier@jabber.org

A computer scientist is someone who, when told to 'Go to Hell', sees the
'go to', rather than the destination, as harmful.