Re: problem configuring xemacs gnus on windows

From: fesio aka franck
Subject: Re: problem configuring xemacs gnus on windows
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:39:57 -0000

Thank you for your help that enable me to look further into the
configuration problem (see below) :)

Glad to have met you, bye :)

Franck

"Reiner Steib" <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> a écrit dans le message de
v93c4ze9fq.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de">news:v93c4ze9fq.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de...
> On Sun, Jun 13 2004, fesio aka franck wrote:
>
> > 1°) Unpack the emacs-21.3-bin-i386.tar.gz distribution in my C:\Program
> > Files\Xemacs\ directory
>
> "emacs-21.3-bin-i386.tar.gz" is most probably GNU Emacs.  Putting it
> in an "XEmacs" directory is quite confusing.

yes, I mistaked since I first installed emacs before xemacs and I mix up
archives ;)

> > 2°) Add the following line to my existing conf\x-init.el file :
> > (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "foo.bar.com"))
> > where foo.bar.com is set properly to news.free.fr
> [...]
> > (1) (stream/warning) cannot get IP address for host "news"
>
> This means that you didn't set `gnus-select-method' in one of the init
> files.  "news" is the default.
>
> See Questions 3.1 and 3.2 in the Gnus FAQ [1]:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)[3.1]") ]
> | I just installed Gnus, started it via  `M-x gnus'  but it only says
> | "nntp (news) open error", what to do?
> `----
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)[3.2]") ]
> | I'm working under Windows and have no idea what ~/.gnus means.
> `----
>
> On Sun, Jun 13 2004, Nelson Ferreira wrote:
>
> > Try putting on your .xemacs/init.el or .gnus:
> > (setq gnus-nntp-server nil)

after having entered by chance, the menu option/edit Init File, it was said
to me that "my .xemacs/init.el doesn't exist", so I read again the 3.2.
point in the faq http://my.gnus.org/faq/html-nochunks/ ( dealing with the
HOME env variable ) and I realized my variable was not set.

After setting it properly, xemacs gnus worked properly ! :))