Re: "End of file during parsing" on gnus startup, group buffer empty

From: Roger Levy
Subject: Re: "End of file during parsing" on gnus startup, group buffer empty
Date: 24 Jun 2004 16:45:19 -0700

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
news:<v9r7s5xttw.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>...
> On Thu, Jun 24 2004, Roger Levy wrote:
>
> > I just started having email access problems where I will start up Gnus
> > and get the error "End of file during parsing" before the Group buffer
> > fills up with the list of groups.  Gnus just then sits there with its
> > startup picture and I never get to my newsgroups/email.
>
> Might be a missing parenthesis in one of the init files.
>
> Try `M-x check-parens RET' in `~/.gnus.el' (or `~/.gnus') and
> `~/.newsrc.eld'.

Thanks for the response!  But that's not the problem.  I don't have a
.gnus or .gnus.el, and the parens in .newsrc.eld are perfect.

I just checked, and my .newsrc-news-dribble file seems to have been
truncated!  It is missing parens, but perhaps more importantly, it is
missing many lines for many of my groups!  This probably happened when
the disk ran out of space while I was in gnus...

Is there a way of replacing the .newsrc-news-dribble file?

Thanks,

Roger