Re: db or similar store, anyone?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: db or similar store, anyone?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:51:29 +0200

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Hi, I just thought it would be interesting to have a gnus backend
> storing the messages in a Berkeley db, gdbm, or a similar disk hash.

Yes, that would be useful.  The main problem is probably the Emacs
interface to the C library (libdb, libgdbm, ...).

There was a project nndb once, which was a Perl server storing
articles in a Berkeley DB speaking a protocol similar to NNTP, and
there was also nndb.el which talked the nndb protocol.  Perhaps that
is one approach for doing things.

Hm.  Maybe a C/Perl/... program speaking some protocol on
stdin/stdout, then invoking that program from Emacs is one way to go.

Kai