Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 23:43:13 +0200

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

> Well, that's an idea.  I suppose that all of the ssh'ing that you
> describe could be replaced by cron jobs.

You plan to use unison; in that case probably so.  In my case it is
vital to invoke rsync in the right direction at the right time, and
the cron jobs can't know.

> Still, the result sounds more complicated than using an IMAP server
> (not that I've ever set up one of those buggers).

Using an IMAP server is quite easy.

> What are the advantages of this approach?  I have this vague
> impression that nnml is more flexible and just plain nicer than
> nnimap, but I'm not sure how or why.

Well, one thing is that you can edit nnml articles but not nnimap
articles.  (That's because IMAP does not provide for a way to edit
articles.)  But it is a really weak reason.

I guess it is just a matter of taste and how it feels.  Perhaps you
could try both approaches, then you can compare how it feels and then
you know.

Kai