Re: Couple of (configuration?) problems.

From: Dirk Gerrits
Subject: Re: Couple of (configuration?) problems.
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 07:24:50 GMT

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Dirk Gerrits <dirk@dirkgerrits.com> writes:
>
>> 2.  My ISP and my university both provide me with newsgroups, but they
>>      both restrict it to IP addresses on their network.  So with my
>>      laptop plugged in back home, I can access news.chello.nl, but not
>>      news.tue.nl, and plugged in at the university it's the other way
>>      around.  Can I somehow configure Gnus for this situation?  I'd like
>>      Gnus to try news.tue.nl first, and then fall-back to news.chello.nl.
>>      And, ideally, I'd like it to have the same set of subscribed
>>      newsgroup and read articles on both news servers.  Can Gnus do this?
>>      Or do you know of something else I could do?
>
> Yes, Gnus can do this, if you tell it to in your .gnus file.  From the
> http://my.gnus.org Web site (under "Fundamental Configuration:"

[snip]

> So, in your case, "news.tue.nl" would replace "foo.bar.com" and
> "news.chello.nl" would replace "localhost" and you'd just leave the
> next line off, unless you wanted to use "new.gnus.org" also.  If your
> news servers need authentication, you can set up an .authinfo file
> with the necessary information- this is discussed at my.gnus.org:
>
> http://my.gnus.org/tutorial/Fundamental-Configuration.html#Fundamental%20Configuration

I think I wasn't clear enough.  The problem with the approach you're
suggesting is that I'd have to have all newsgroups in duplicate.  For
example I'd have both nntp+news.chello.nl:gnu.emacs.gnus and
nntp+news.tue.nl:gnu.emacs.gnus and marking an article as read in one
would not mark it as read in the other.  Or am I just missing something?

Kind regards,

Dirk Gerrits