Supercite, citation styles, and netiquette

From: Neil Woods
Subject: Supercite, citation styles, and netiquette
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:16:08 +0100

I rather like supercite, and its default style of citing authors by
using

      Name>

etc. However, it's usage seems not to be considered good netiquette in
certain groups outside the *emacs* newsgroups. And I understand its
usage not to be exactly (Son-of-)RFC1036 and/or USEFOR compliant.

So I have started to use trivial-cite. However, I would still like to
use supercite for some mailing lists (and maybe in *emacs* NG's.)

In Gnus, how can I set things up so that the citation function used is
dependent on a matching group name regexp? Or is there a better way of
achiving this.

I'd also appreciate any comments regarding the netiquette issues.

Many thanks in advance.

--
Neil