Re: send mail directly using smtp ?

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: send mail directly using smtp ?
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 12:51:20 -0600

William Xuuu <william_xuuu@163.com> writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

<snip>

> I don't understand then... I'm sure username and passwd are
> correct. Actually, same configurations for mozilla-thunderbird works
> well.

I was going to ask if another application worked with authentication
using the same information.  It does, apparently.

Hmmm. Try comparing your .gnus line by line with what I posted, since
my setup works (at least with my ISP's server).  maybe if you modify
one thing at a time, you'll hit on the one causing the snag.

Yours:

(require 'smtpmail)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.163.com"
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.163.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 25
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.163.com" 25 "william_xuuu"
      "secret")))

Mine:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnml ""))
(eval-after-load "mail-source"
 '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(pop :server "pop.iphouse.com"
                                   :user "username"
                                   :password "password")))
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.iphouse.com")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("smtp.iphouse.com" 25 "username" "password")))

I don't know which Gnus backend you are using, but that may make a
difference.  I'm using nnml.

I don't have (require 'smtpmail) in mine; I don't know if that would
make a difference.

I don't have (setq smtpmail-smtp-service 25) in mine, which might make
a difference.  It would seem to me that port 25 is already specified
in smtpmail-auth-credentials and besides it is the default port for
SMTP, so it should be used automatically by smtpmail-send-it.

You don't have (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
although I doubt that would be the problem.

I don't have (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.someisp.com") in
mine.  Can't see why that'd make a difference.

Well, hopefully one of these will help!