Re: How do you say "gnus"?

From: Jes Vestervang
Subject: Re: How do you say "gnus"?
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:40:08 +0100

David Hanak <dhanakDONT@isisSEND.vanderbiltME.eduSPAM> writes:

> Again, linn-ooks is the "official", original pronounciation, but
> English speakers often say it as line-ux, which is also accepted.
> (Perhaps linn-ooks has a slightly snobbish tinge to it, as in the
> case of "vase" - vuh-ze vs. vay-ze.)

I've heard Linus' way of saying Linux quite some times back when I
used Red Hat's sndconfig tool. The test sound whas Linus saying
"Hello, this is Linus Torvalds, and I pronounce Linux
Lee-noohks"... or something lige that :-) Lee-noohks was spoken at
about the same speed as Unix :-)

Here in Denmark people always pronounce it Leeh-noohks, spoken a bit
slower than the common Unix pronounciation. Lignuks, I guess it would
be spelled - and the G is silent! :-)
--
Regards Jes Vestervang