Re: SMTP-AUTH and STARTTLS

From: Emily Jackson
Subject: Re: SMTP-AUTH and STARTTLS
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 05:43:39 -0600

    Charles> Despite the fact that my SMTP server advertises CRAM-MD5,
    Charles> smtpmail always authenticates with LOGIN. This wouldn't be
    Charles> so bad if it used TLS but it refuses to do that either, so
    Charles> it sends my password in plaintext, which is not good.

To use TLS you need to have either the starttls command-line tool
(available from <ftp://ftp.opaopa.org/pub/elisp/starttls-0.9.tar.gz>) or
gnutls (can be installed via fink [if you use fink]) installed. I have
the former installed and TLS works for me (at least it did the last time
I tried it). Here are the relevant lines from my .gnus.el (this is to
use STARTTLS on port 26):

(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 26)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.messagingengine.com")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
           '(("mail.messagingengine.com" 26 "username" "password")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials
           '(("mail.messagingengine.com" 26 nil nil)))

HTH,

Emily

--
"If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."
Emily Jackson