Re: Is the modern Internet destroying GNUS?

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Is the modern Internet destroying GNUS?
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:11:53 -0600

Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>
>> Have you looked into using w3m?
>
> I am using w3m to read just one Web site (www.mudcat.org), which has
> the peculiarity that it contains no graphics and that most of its
> links are to itself.  For that purpose, being able to read & post
> within Emacs is a blessing, despite the clunkiness of the interface
> (having to go to the minibuffer to fill in text, etc.).  For most of
> the Web sites I read, however, I want to look at the pictures, and
> for the time being there is no easy way to do that in w3m, tho I
> gather that is being worked on.

Right, my point was that you can use w3m to read HTML e-mail, which
seemed to be what you were asking about in your original post.  As
someone else pointed out, you can toggle inline graphics in w3m so
that you can see them.  For looking at real Web sites, though, I just
have Emacs/Gnus pass the URL to Camino; I could probably use it for
HTML e-mail, too, but since 99.5% of the HTML e-mail I receive is
spam, why bother?